1851 Fr. Albert Lacombe, a French missionary, has prayer service in this area.
1854 Fr. Pierz offers first mass in the Jacobs Prairie area.
First marriage at St. James Peter Able & Elizabeth Louis.
1856 First Church, log church 16 x 20′ or 24′.
St. James is incorporated in the diocese of St. Paul.
The grasshoppers come.
First recorded baptism at St. James.
First recorded death at St. James.
1857 The grasshoppers leave after much misery.
1858 First log church destroyed by fire.
The second log church is built.
1862 Brother Placid Brixius, OSB, first Brother from St. James makes his vows at St. John’s Abbey.
The Sioux Indian uprising
1864 The second log church is replaced with a frame structure 30′ x 36′.
First parish house built.
1865 The first daughter of St. James split off. Old St. Nicholas, builds a small frame chapel.
1871 Brother Placid Brixius, O.S.B., died and is the first Brother laid to rest in the Abbey Cemetery.
1873 First resident pastor.
1875 Addition built onto third church.
The Grasshoppers return.
1876 The grasshoppers leave a second time after much misery
1877 Construction of the first Assumption Chapel, (the Grasshopper Chapel).
1878 The second daughter of St. James split off. Cold Spring, St. Boniface, mass is held in completed basement of parish church.
1884 Cecilia Beck is the first Sister from St. James to become a member of St. Benedict’s Convent at St. Joseph as Sister Perpetua.
1885 Dedication of Cold Springs first church (presently the Parish Center).
1889 The diocess of St. Cloud is establish.
1894 Third church destroyed by a cyclone.
The same cyclone destroys the Assumption Chapel.
Forth Church, a frame structure with brick veneer 35′ x 36′, is built.
1896 First priest ordained at St. John’s Abbey from St. James, Fr. James Hansen, O.S.B..
1898 An addition is added to the church.
1905 Parish celebrates the Golden Anniversary of the parish one year late to coincide with Fr. Pius Meinz’ First Solemn Mass.
1908 Second parish house built.
1911 The third daughter of St. James split off, Rockville parish, is formed.
1930 Forth church destroyed by fire.
Fifth church Built
1931 Fifth church dedicated.
1951 Present Assumption Chapel constructed.
1954 Parish celebrates its centennial. Statistics of the first one hundred years:
1,316 baptisms, 257 marriages, 321 deaths.
6 priests and 1 brother became members at St. John’s Abbey.
8 sisters became members of St. Benedict’s Convent at St. Joseph.
4 sisters became members of the Franciscan Convent at Little Falls
1984 The Second parish house is badly damaged by fire.
The Third parish house is built.
1985 Germain Hall is built.
2007 Air conditioning is added to church.
2009 Stain glass windows added to entryways.
2011 Elevator installed and handicap-accessible bathroom added.